Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Great Horned Owls

Well, so far this year is going pretty well in terms of birding. Yesterday we had a Rough-legged Hawk flying over my yard for about 5 minutes or so, and tonight we had a pair of Great Horned Owls hooting away out in the cold. We could hear that the one owl was quite close to the house so I grabbed my binoculars and headed outside to see if I could find him. Well, about 10 seconds after walking out the door, still standing on my deck, he hooted away and I spotted him. I picked up the binocs and got a good look at him. The light was fading fast so I grabbed my camera and took 1 photo of him. Before I took the shot, my wife and father-in-law, got a good look at him as well. The shot isn't that great but you sure can tell he's a Great Horned Owl!

Great Horned Owl