Sunday, April 22, 2007

RSH, GHO, and Crows

During the rain today, I noticed a bit of movement outside, so I grabbed my binoculars and spotted a Great Horned Owl that has be visiting our yard over the last month. My wife and I spent some time looking at the bird and enjoying the moment. The rain had let up a little bit, so I thought I'd take a chance at getting a shot. So I grabbed my camera, and went outside. As I rounded the corner of my house the owl got up and flew back farther into the woods. At that point the Red Shouldered Hawk was calling and came flying through the woods right past the spot the GHO had been sitting. I didn't feel like standing in the rain so I went back inside. As soon as I got in I heard a few crows calling repeatedly back in the area the GHO had landed. So being curious I walked back outside and into the woods a bit. The crows were sitting in the tree with the owl and incessantly calling at it. I walked back a bit farther and the owl got up and flew with the Crows hot on its tail. As soon as the birds took off the Hawk started calling and chased all three birds over the marsh and into the woods. It was a pretty interesting exchange considering the birds involved. Last year I saw a similar exchange with the RSH and about 20 or crows in our yard. The crows just land in the tree all around the hawk and called at it. Anyway, I didn't get any shots of this mobbing behavior, but I thought I'd pass it on.