Saturday, January 05, 2008

Learning about birds in 2008 . . . Great Horned Owl

This year I'm going to work on learning more about the birds in my area, things like their range, habitat, food, behavior, etc. I'm also going to try and find out neat facts (like the ones below) about a particular bird each week. I'll post those to the blog. This week it's going to be the Great Horned Owl . . . for obvious reasons. :)

Great Horned Owl:
- The Great Horned Owl is the only animal that regularly eats skunks.
- Great horned owls pair off to begin mating in early winter. By February, they are already nesting!
- Great horned owls don't make a nest, they take over nests left by other animals.
- Of all the owls, the great horned owl has the strongest talons. About 30 pounds (13,000 grams) of force is required to release the owl's grip on an object.

PS If anyone has a particular bird they would like to learn about , let me know and I'll post on that bird next week.