Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Great Horned Owl Update

Well, today was a pretty good day. When I looked out my window this morning just after getting up, there was a nice looking Turkey in the yard. On my drive home tonight, I saw my first Red-winged Blackbird of the year!
Over lunch though I drove over to my friends house to get some more shots of the Great-horned Owl nest. When I arrived the adult was on the nest with the owlets. The nest is so small for the 3 birds though all I could see was the adult. I snapped off a few shots and the adult eventually flew off into the woods. What was most interesting though is how fast the owlets are progressing. If you look at the last post I made on these owls, A Great Day!, you'll see the increase in feathers and a decrease in amount of white down. It's only been 5 days . . . they grow so fast these days! :)
I feel very fortunate to have started out my "spring" birding with these great owl encounters!

Great-horned Owl:
Great-horned Owl Nest

Great-horned Owlets:
Great-horned Owlets Nest